Sunday, June 24, 2012

Have We Stopped Dreaming?

I've just recently come across this rather interesting video where Neil deGrasse Tyson talks a little more about space travel and its impact on our society in the past. I think it's sad that only 0.46% of the U.S. federal budget is spent on NASA, down from its height of 4.41% in 1966. This may only seem like a small change, but when you realize how much each percentage point represents, that's a staggering decrease. It gets even worse, currently the U.S. government is spending more on air conditioning for the military than it is on NASA. I know I've said all this before, but I still think it's important.

NASA and it's shuttle program inspired us to dream bigger and make a difference.

We could more than double NASA's budget by just spending one penny for every tax dollar. How hard would that be? Space travel is too important to shy away from just because it costs a little more money. And hey, if it means that we take away some money from war to do it, then that's just great. Together we can make a difference, I've run across a website called Penny4NASA where you can go to sign a petition and send a letter to your congress member. It's easy, I've already done it. If you are like me and think that the United States should continue to look to the stars, then I hope you'll join me and sign a petition or talk to your congress members. The least you could do is spread the word.


No comments:

Post a Comment